Sustainability in Film and TV Workshop with Dörte Schneider 3 - 6 of April
Film Financing Workshop with Paul Miller 24-27 of January
DURATION: 2 days HOURS
13/14 . 04 . 2019
LOCATION: Lisbon, Portugal
PRICE: 399EUR (299EUR Until 9th of April)
ABOUT RALPH REMSTEDT
German born Assistant Director Ralph Remstedt has 20 years’ experience in the field, working as a precious right hand man to some of the most influential filmmakers in film history.
Remstedt gave his first steps in the small budget productions and the TV series Lexx, before taking a giant step in the turn of the century by working with Hungarian legend István Szabó (Mephisto) in “Taking Sides” (2001). He went on to work with two immensely auteurs such as Polish superstar Malgorzata Szumowska in “Ono” (2004) and newcomer John Andreas Andersen in the forthcoming “The Quake” (2018).
But it was unquestionably in his work side by side with Roman Polanski that Ralph Remstedt achieved his greatest heights so far. The collaboration began in 2001 in “The Pianist”, continuing on in productions such as “Oliver Twist” (2005), “Ghost Writer” (2010) and later in the Saïd Ben Saïd production “Carnage” (2011).
Throughout his carrer Remstedt also worked closely with filmmakers such as Fatih Akin in “The Cut” (2014) and Volker Schlondorff (2006).
Ralph Remstedt is a highly accomplished 1st AD – his filmography speaks for itself and guarantees the high standards our participants have come to expect from FEST FILM LAB.
Full credit list at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719043/
Workshop 1. Assistant Director
In this workshop, Ralph will try to give you a detailed picture about the job of the 1st AD.
Be it, that you want to become a 1st AD yourself, or to show the many people who are involved in a movie production how they can benefit the best from your AD. And how they can support him the best way.
During our weekend Ralph will share with you his experiences he had in so many different productions. Together we will go the long road from the first reading of the script, the first meeting with your director to the last day of shooting, the final wrap.
1. Basics of the job of the 1st AD
- The center of communication
- The Brain and the Muscle of the Production
- In the line of fire: The AD between Director and Producer
- Keeping in touch with all Departments
- Know the technologies of filming and keep updated about it
- Differences in Anglo Saxon and German way of production organization
2. Working on the Breakdown
- From Scratch to a Schedule
- Learn to read the Script
- Find the specials and the traps
- Keep inquiring when you are not 100% sure about something
- How to gather the informations you need
3. Creating the Shooting Schedule
- Find out the parameters which rule your schedule
- How a beard can rule your schedule
- Give your schedule a rythm
- Make your Director and your Producer accept the Schedule
4. Shooting time, in the end !
- Getting your days done, day by day
- It always comes different than you thought
- Don’t be afraid to adjust and change your plans
- The weather !!!!
- Make yourself visible and audible
- Getting along with your Cast
- Caught between Overtime und Turn Arounds
- Safety first! No running on your set !
PROFILE OF PARTICIPANT
The workshop designed for 1st Assistant Directors, 2nd Assistant Director, Directors, Film Students, or anyone serious about a career in the Film Business on the area of 1st AD.
LOCATION OF THE WORKSHOP
Duration: 2 days
Dates: 13-14 April 2019
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Price: 399EUR (299EUR with 25% discount until the 9th of April)
Maximum number of participants: 25
By registering to the workshop you agree with FFL terms and Conditions